DESTINATION

HISTORY &
NAME OF THE AREA

Portopetro was the coastal area of the Sa Punta possessió, partitioned into various plots and owned by several families throughout history, including the Aries, Llaneres, Danús and Rigo de Santanyí. It was also owned by the clergy of the San Nicolau de Palma church.

At the end of the 19th century, a hydrographical map displays several huts in the area, with a slipway, in addition to some other buildings, such as the Cas Rector house, the customs building and the Martines house.

At the beginning of the 20th century the owners of Sa Punta Mitjana (a property that formed part of Sa Punta), sold some lots to inhabitants from Cas Concos and Alqueria Blanca, to make the first population centre on the coast.

In the 1950s a new area was developed and work began on the current church, dedicated to Our Lady of Mount Carmel.

Why choose Som Suret Cool Hostel?

Fishing with a suret (or float) is one of the most traditional kinds of Majorcan fishing. On the line, which is between the rod and the bait, a float (suret) enables the user to see the exact moment when the fish takes the bait.

The name of the hotel, SOM Suret, pays tribute to one of the last enclaves of traditional Majorcan fishermen and also recalls one of the local traditional fishing techniques, which has been used over a long time on the island and across the whole of the Mediterranean..

PLACES OF INTEREST

Mondragó Natural Park

Mondragó Natural Park consists of a mosaic of varying environments, contributing a great diversity of landscapes: the oak and pine forests, dry-farming lands, coastal junipers, the freshwater pond of s’Amarador and the brackish waters of Ses Fonts de n’Alis, and the rugged coast with rocky areas and sandy beaches.

It is also notable for its sites of ethnological interest: farmer’s huts, curcull huts, dry-stone walls, slipways and defensive towers, etc.
As a result of its natural, scenic and ethnological value, Mondragó was given natural park status by the Balearic Government in 1992.

Can Lis

Can Lis is the house-shelter built by Jørn Utzon (1918- 2008) for his own retirement in Portopetro. It is made up of a set of small cubic buildings, where the exterior space becomes the interconnection between them. The work recreates the habitat of the island’s first settlers, who lived life in the open air.
Utzon combines the classical language of Greek architecture with local building solutions.

Each building is a box of walls, pilasters and lintels, which use a reduced selection of traditional materials. The execution corresponds to the resistant or tactile qualities and displays the workmanship of each element. An easily-worked limestone with insulating properties, marès, is the basic material used to build the house.

Portopetro tower

A tower or fortress built between 1627 and 1628 on top of an older tower, most probably built buy the Muslims around the 13th century and which lay in ruin in the 16th century. It was restored in 1995 by Santanyí Council.

s’Amarador beach

An ideal beach for hikers as you have to walk about 400m to get to it. It is located in the heart of Mondragó Natural Park, where many excursions can also be made across its wild wetlands, gorges and cliffs.
It has many amenities such as hammocks to rent, a snack bar, toilets and a beach volleyball net.

Santanyí

The municipality of Santanyí has been inhabited since prehistoric times; this is evident from over 170 archaeological sites, some dating to the pre-Talayotic period. In Muslim times, several mosques are documented, such as the one at Alqueria Blanca, or “Saracen houses” at the Santanyí farmstead. After the Conquest of James I, the parish church of Santanyí is documented in 1242.
Between the 14th and 17th centuries the Santanyí coast was under heavy threat from privateers and pirates, mainly originating from North Africa, who often took refuge in Cabrera.

This lead to the establishing of local defences, with the construction of coastal towers. The town of Santanyí was also protected, with the construction of a wall which began in 1531. Today it is still possible to see the Porta Murada, one of the wall’s tower-gates.

5 TOP RECOMMENDATIONS FOR PORTOPETRO AND ITS SURROUNDINGS

  • Visit the small coves surrounding Portopetro
  • Explore Mondragó Natural Park
  • Eat at one of the restaurants at the Portopetro harbour
  • Discover the old historic centre of Santanyí
  • Visit the Can Grimalt cheese dairy, located in Es Llombards